If you are on Android, you might have come across Google Play Protect. The Redmi and Xiaomi branded phones have a surprise from Google today. The Play Protect functionality has blocked a Xiaomi app and is not allowing the installation of an update to the app.
Xioami’s Quick Apps is the affected app, and Play Protect has flagged it. The reason for blocking the Quick Apps was the compromise of user security and safety. Here is the warning shown by Google Play Protect when you attempt to install the Quick Apps update – “This app can collect data that could be used to track you.”
Data tracking has been one of the serious concerns that can severely affect you and your data in a more negative way. There is no exact reason available as to why Google Play Protect has decided to pull the brakes on Quick Apps. We presume the latest update of the app may have violated one or the other norms put forward by Play Protect.
If you have checked Quick Apps from Xiaomi, you would be astonished to find that it has over 55 system-level permissions. In fact, it can even install apps on your phone without your permission – though it hasn’t been reported to have resorted to such a task so far.
Xiaomi was quick enough with its update about the same after the issue was reported on Twitter by several Xiaomi and Redmi users. The full statement of the update reads, “We’re aware of the update concerning one of our system apps called Quick Apps. Some users may get a notification that this app has been blocked by Google Play Protect. We are in touch with Google regarding this, and it is likely happening due to a revision in Google Play Protect’s algorithm. Rest assured that this system app is absolutely safe”.
- Facebook now lets you transfer your images to Google Photos
- Severe weather derails normal life in large parts of the US
- Ketamine dose can be the best option to cut down on the booze
- Arizona Flash Flood – Two children dead, one missing
- AMD launches Ryzen Threadripper Third Gen processors – Crushes Intel Core 10th Gen processors
- Car carrying heart for transplant gets a flat, Police help it deliver
- Scientists discover a massive Black Hole ever
- Ohio Park Fire – Several Animals lose their lives
- An Interstellar object is moving towards the solar system – NASA finds out
- Android 10 rolling out for Samsung Galaxy S10 series – Check when you are likely to get it
- Google adds another 37 apps to its Play Pass program
- Russian military launches a surveillance satellite to keep an eye on other satellites
- Alexa becomes more humane and works even with the cheapest devices now
- You may have compromised your personal information on Facebook and Twitter
- This place on earth has no life at all
- New York Woman Bodybuilder pins down the home intruder
- Best Black Friday deals for 2019
- Venus and Jupiter to have a rare conjunction this Sunday
- This year’s thanksgiving day is likely to be without the iconic balloons
- The dog drives the unmanned car in Florida