On this week’s For Your Consideration, Collider’s awards consultants Scott Mantz, Perri Nemiroff and Jeff Sneider run down the highs and J-lows of this morning’s Oscar nominations, which didn’t embrace Hustlers star Jennifer Lopez — anticipated Authentic Track nominee Beyonce, for that matter.
The place can we even start? Properly, for starters, Joker beat out all movies with 11 nominations, together with Finest Director for Todd Phillips, which left Little Ladies helmer Greta Gerwig out of the lineup. Everybody appears upset about this… apart from the FYC gang, who really feel strongly that the 5 males who had been acknowledged had been all deserving of their nominations. Clearly, it wasn’t an important day for range, as there was just one non-white performer of colour nominated — Harriet star Cynthia Erivo, who picked up a second nomination for Finest Track.
Scarlett Johansson was one other twin nominee, scoring a nomination for Marriage Story and shock Finest Supporting Actress nom for Jojo Rabbit. Coupled with Richard Jewell star Kathy Bates, that meant there was no room for Lopez, or The Farewell scene-stealer Zhao Shuzhen. In reality, a lot to the FYC gang’s dismay, The Farewell was blanked altogether, as A24 solely managed to securing a single nomination on behalf of the cinematography in The Lighthouse. Jeff overestimated The Farewell‘s awards possibilities all season, and for that he paid a worth — $20 bucks, to be actual, as Ford v Ferrari cruised to at least one of the 9 Finest Image slots.
Ultimately, the FYC gang thinks Quentin Tarantino’s As soon as Upon a Time in Hollywood stays the film to beat, although it didn’t land an all-important Finest Modifying nomination, which may level towards an upset ready within the wings. Would it not be Parasite or 1917, or may Taika Waititi‘s divisive Jojo Rabbit shock given its clear assist throughout the main guilds?
In the meantime, Perri and Jeff lament the dearth of a Finest Authentic Track nom for Jessie Buckley‘s inspiring little ditty “Glasgow” from Wild Rose, although Scott and Perri had been completely satisfied to see John Williams earn his 52nd Oscar nomination for his Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker rating.
Ensure to observe the episode and tell us what you suppose of the nominations — and who may win — within the feedback part beneath, or on YouTube. And don’t neglect concerning the FYC Screening Sequence at ArcLight Hollywood, which can be internet hosting the filmmakers behind Parasite, Us and Jojo Rabbit this week
Thanks for serving to us take For Your Consideration to the following stage, and be sure to observe the gang on Twitter and Instagram at @MovieMantz, @PNemiroff and @TheInSneider. When you missed final week’s episode, you may catch it proper right here. Till subsequent time, we’ll FYC-ya later!
- Oscar Beat: Why ‘1917’ Is the Best Picture Frontrunner
- True Terror with Robert Englund to Hit Travel Channel
- Here’s a Full List of Upcoming DC Movies: From ‘Birds of Prey’ to ‘Aquaman 2’
- New ‘Picard’ Trailer Reminds Us the New ‘Star Trek’ Series Premieres This Week
- How Avenue 5 Keeps the Legacy of Gene Roddenberry Alive
- The 40 Most-Anticipated New TV Shows We Can’t Wait to Watch in 2020
- ‘Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot’ Review: The Familiar Saga Is Still a Literal Blast
- My Hero Academia Season 4 Episode 14 Review: Bright Future
- Watch: David Lynch Interrogates a Monkey Murder Suspect in New Netflix Short Film
- ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Is Now the Worst-Reviewed ‘Star Wars’ Movie
- How Crisis on Infinite Earths Affects Batwoman
- Studio Ghibli Films Head to Netflix … But Not in the U.S., Canada, or Japan
- ‘Joker’ Editor on Ambiguity, That Ending, and Piecing Together Joaquin Phoenix’s Performance
- Shameless Season 10 Episode 11 Review: Location, Location, Location
- SAG Awards Winners: ‘Parasite’ Takes Best Ensemble; Phoenix, Pitt, Zellweger, Dern Continue Winning Streaks
- The Outsider Episode 3 Review: Dark Uncle
- Seven Worlds, One Planet Brings the World to North America and Vice Versa
- Green Arrow and The Canaries Trailer and Details
- Billions Season 5 Release Date, Cast, News, and More
- Sci Fi Fidelity Podcast: 6 Great Sci-Fi Theme Songs